The Angaston & Penrice Historical Society (APHS) was established in 1997 with the aims to promote the history of Angaston and Penrice.
We own the heritage listed Doddridge Blacksmith Shop at 19 Murray St, Angaston and have built a shed at the rear that houses a museum that will tell the story of the Angaston district. This was achieved due to over 200 people and organizations donating a combined total $160,000 in 2017. The Society’s volunteers man the working forge at weekends and public holidays.
The APHS meet at the 1844 Old Union Chapel and we have an archive at our “Skull Cave” in the former Angaston Council Chambers at 3-7 Fife Street, Angaston and use items there to have pop up displays for events like the Barossa Valley Vintage Festival or through South Australia’s History Festival. We like to have guest speakers and do excursions.
We have representation on the Barossa, Light and Gawler Regional History Group and also have a keen interest in the restoration of the Angaston Railway Precinct.