Located on the site of Bon Accord Mine, on the corner of West street and Railway Terrace, it incorporates the original mine office and workshop. The Museum displays memorabilia of the Burra copper mining area, 1845-1877.
This site is on land originally purchased in 1846 by speculators from Aberdeen, Scotland and named the Bon Accord Mine.The Museum tells the story of the Burra copper mining area, 1845-1877, displaying mining relics, ore samples, the office pay table from the Monster (Burra Burra) Mine, plus information, photographs and other memorabilia.
There are models of a horse whim, and of Monster Mine and the above ground structures which existed there in 1858. The Blacksmith Shop is fully operational, with a forge of typical Cornish design and original elephant hide bellows. Housed in the pump shed is a shaft of the Bon Accord mine.
Outside are a horse whim core, a waterwheel hub and other pieces of mining equipment. More exhibits include three early fire engines used in Burra during the 1920s and 30s, and horse drawn vehicles including the Eastern Mail Buggy.
In a newly established display, called the Ladies’ Room, there are 3 wedding dresses from the 1800s and a rare quilt made in 1829 which is featured Jenny Manning’s book Australia’s Quilts: A Directory of Patchwork Treasures, and is a true scrap quilt in a variety of dress fabrics from early 19th century.
Since 1977 it has been owned by the Burra National Trust who have repaired and restored the property. It is one of eight sites in Burra operated by them. As well as the mining display, the Manager’s Residence is also available as accommodation. It has been on the State Heritage Register since 1980.