• Charles Sturt Memorial Museum

    Visit the ‘The Grange’ the former residence of Captain Charles Sturt and now a museum dedicated to this renowned explorer and Colonial administrator.  Built in 1840 and an example of early Colonial style architecture, it was the first house of this type in the area then known as the Reedbeds, and gave the name to the suburb in which it stands.

The Grange was the home built by Charles Sturt (1795-1869) in 1840 and where he lived with his wife Charlotte and 3 children before returning to England in 1853.

Known as the “Father of Exploration”, Charles Sturt was responsible for defining the major river system of southern Australia as well as pioneering an overland route to Adelaide from NSW and opening up the country’s interior.  Charles was living at The Grange when he left for his major expedition to Central Australia in August 1844. It was also where his youngest and only daughter Charlotte Eyre Sturt was born in 1843.

The main display items consist of Sturt’s furniture and accessories donated by the Sturt family in England.  Some of the most significant items include the flags carried on the Murray River and Central expeditions, Sturt’s telescope and the Desert Peas gathered on the Central expedition, later named after Sturt and the floral emblem of South Australia.

Originally the house was set in almost 400 acres but this was subdivided in the late 19th century becoming the village of Grange and now a western suburb of Adelaide while the local council is called the City of Charles Sturt. The museum was first opened to the public in 1967 under the auspices of the Charles Sturt Memorial Museum Trust and later fully restored.  In 2003 the Nursery wing was opened as an exhibition gallery with the launch of the Trust’s first major exhibition ‘The Dream and the Reality: An insight into Captain Charles Sturt 1795-1869’. A complementary exhibition titled ‘Across the Continent’ was mounted in 2005.

Since the museum opened in 1967, there has been a celebration to honour Charles Sturt’s birthday on 28 April. Photos from past celebrations can be seen here and here

A set of new heritage interpretive signs along the river and around grounds of the museum were launched in 2013.

Adults: $6.00
Seniors/Children under 12: $4.00

First and third Sundays (except Public Holidays) 2-5pm
Mid week group tours by appointment
The ground can be hired for weddings, photography and functions.

Bookings: 08 8356 8185; 08 8356 5270 or 0422 434 403
Function enquiries: 08 8356 9686; 0422 434 403 or markethistory@bigpond.com

39D Jetty Street Grange SA 5022
PO Box 132 Fulham Gardens SA 5024

Charles Sturt Memorial Museum

Visit the ‘The Grange’ the former residence of Captain Charles Sturt and now a museum dedicated to this renowned explorer and Colonial administrator.  Built in 1840 and an example of early Colonial style architecture, it was the first house of this type in the area then known as the Reedbeds, and gave the name to the suburb in which it stands.