The cottage was built in 1902 for Joseph Gamble, an orchardist who worked at the (then) nearby Government Experimental Orchard, and was bequeathed in 1982 by two of his daughters, Clara and Edith, to the City of Mitcham for use by the local community.
The Coromandel Valley & Districts Branch of the National Trust South Australia now manages the Cottage (under lease) and another volunteer group, Friends of the Gamble Garden, maintain the rare surviving example of a true cottage garden. The front garden was restored in 1986 as an SA Jubilee 150 project.
Gamble Cottage comprises a kitchen, three main rooms and hallway. There is also an add-on room, which is now refurbished as a Research Room and where the Coromandel Branch store their archives. The cottage is displayed to reflect the lifestyle of its original owners. Joseph Gamble and his wife Harriet lived in the cottage with their four daughters, Dorothy, Isobel, Clara and Edith.
There is also a timber-framed room (part of the early fabric of the building), available for community hire for meetings, displays and use in conjunction with gatherings in the garden area.
The cottage and garden are available for hire for small weddings with 30 to 35 guests.