• Peterborough YMCA History Rooms

    The 1927 YMCA building now displays the local history collections of the Peterborough History Group in the former single men’s rooms, as well as a scale miniature model of Petersburg railway station and the new Lionel Noble Room.

Used by railway workers and others who needed to board in the town, the YMCA building opened in 1927 the same year that the new Town Hall next door also opened.

Downstairs you can view a scale miniature replica of the old Petersburg Station built by Eldon Zimmermann (died 2013), described as a master craftsman in heritage miniaturisation. He crafted this 1.2 tonne labour of love out of the bricks and stone from the remains of the actual building which was demolished in the 1960s.

Upstairs the Peterborough History Group have displayed artefacts in their collection associated with the history of ‘Petersburg to Peterborough’ in each of the single men’s rooms.

The group have also put together a new Lionel Noble room which features some of the amazing collection of historic photographs donated by Lionel Noble, an employee of the railways for 43 years and a keen amateur photographer.

The Peterborough History Group also have Local History Rooms in their Printing Museum on Jervois Street.

By donation

Daily 9am-4pm
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day

08 8651 2708

Peterborough YMCA History Rooms

The 1927 YMCA building now displays the local history collections of the Peterborough History Group in the former single men’s rooms, as well as a scale miniature model of Petersburg railway station and the new Lionel Noble Room.