The Heritage Centre is managed by the Port Broughton Historical Society and is located in the town’s first school building on the corner of Harvey and Edmund Streets which dates from 1882. The original school building had three rooms and a verandah designed to accommodate up to 90 students with later additions including a further classroom to host a total of 150.
Becoming known as the Port Broughton Area School and relocating to East Terrace in 1984, the old building was developed into a museum and now tells the local history of the area with themed rooms including the Community Room; School and War Display; Kitchen/Dining; District Council Room; Boat and Wheat Trade; and the Ladies’ Room.
The Australian Plangon Doll Collectors Club also has a permanent display of dolls and associated items within the Heritage Centre.
The Port Broughton Heritage Centre is on the Historic Walk, one of four walking trails in Port Broughton.