Currently owned by Mitcham Council and managed by the Coromandel Valley & District National Trust, the bakehouse was built in 1878 by Daniel Hewett and was first run by Henry Langsford. However it gets its name from Walter Winn who operated the business from 1883-1919. It continued to serve the community until the 1940s.
Members of the Coromandel Valley & District National Trust, which had formed in 1970, restored the bakehouse, the business having closed and the building become dilapidated over the last 30 years. It opened as a local history museum in 1971 not only telling the story of the bakehouse but also featuring artefacts and photographs illustrating the lifestyle of the pioneer families and early settlers of Coromandel Valley and its environs from the mid 19th century to the mid 1920s.