Located in the old Courthouse Building on Edithburgh Road close to the town centre and its junction of five roads, the Yorketown Historic Society focusses on collecting photographs rather than artefacts. The society has over 1,000 photographs in its collection, from early settlement to current times, showing changes in agricultural and social practices, streetscapes and industries of the local area. The society has also mapped out a town walk.
Yorketown is a small rural community at the southern end of Yorke Peninsula. The surrounding landscape is dotted with many inland salt lakes, some of which are still mined. In the late 1840s farmers were eager to take up land here as it was prime crop-producing land. The town was settled in 1872 and has remained an important service centre on the peninsula since.